Island Solta - holiday apartments and houses
Island Solta lies in the central Dalmatian archipelago, west of the island of Brac; separated from the mainland by the Split Channel, from the Drvenik islands by the Solta Channel, and from the island of Brac by the Strait of Split. Solta has an area 58.9 sq km (length 19 km, width up to 5 km), a population of 1448 inhabitants and the highest top is Vela Straza (237m). A large karst field spreads in the island's interior, cultivated with various crops. The island has the Mediterranean climate; the average air temperature in January attains 7,8 °C (46 °F), and in July 25,3 °C (77,5 °F).
The largest coves, Rogac and Necujam, are situated on the north-eastern coast, covered with thick shrubs and exposed to northerly winds (especially the bora). The coves and inlets on the western coast are protected by the small offshore islets and cliffs; the Maslinica cove, exposed only to north-westerly winds, represents a favourable anchoring ground and shelter for smaller yachts. Bigger villages (Grohote, Gornje Selo, Srednje Selo, Donje Selo) are situated in the island's interior. Chief occupations include farming, wine production, olive growing, fruit growing, fishing and tourism. The regional road 111 runs along the island; ferry ports are in the coves of Rogac, Necujam and Stomorska.
The island was first mentioned by Pseudoscylax (4th c. BC) under the name of Olyntha. The Romans called it Solenta, and in the Statute of Split (14th c.) it was called Solta. - The island has revealed the ruins of a prehistoric settlement (hill-fort Gradac) and another one from the Roman period (Rogac, Grohote, Necujam). When the Slavs and Avars destroyed Salona at the beginning of the 7th century, a group of the refugees from Salona fled to Solta. In the middle Ages the island was attacked on several occasions by Omis (1240) and Venice (1387 and 1418). Mediaeval monuments are found on the localities in Sveti Mihovil in the Grohote Field, Donje Selo, Necujam and Stomorica above Stomorska (the Benedictine monastery). On the fall of Klis (1537) the island was inhabited by the refugees from the mainland.
What does it mean uv-k ? Unterkunftsvermittlung Kroatien - Croatian Accommodation Portal
Why book online at Jumpmantours ??
• Jumpmantours is one of the largest provider of accommodation in Croatia: holiday apartments, holiday houses, hotels, holiday resorts, country houses, robinson houses
• choose from over 3500 objects in Croatia suitable accommodation for your next vacation
• by using the Search & Book function you will find fast and easy your favourites
• objects and prices can be compared in your personally choosed favourites
• special online prices for all accommodation with price guarantee
• professional advice before and after the booking
• personal-care in each resort through our partner agencies
• thousand of satisfied guests each year